Everything you need to know about Final Fantasy 15 for Xbox One and PS4
Final Fantasy Versus 13, the frequently delayed sister title to Final Fantasy 13 that many thought had been cancelled was re-revealed, rebranded as Final Fantasy 15.
Final Fantasy 15: All The Facts
- The game was in developent for years as Final Fantasy Versus 13, a companion title to Final Fantasy 13. Obviously that didn’t happen as the game was repeatedly delayed.
- Fans eventually assumed the game to be cancelled, as we didn’t hear anything about it for many years, and Square Enix turned it’s attentions to other games.
- That all changed at Sony’s E3 2013 conference as we saw a brand new trailer for the game.
- The biggest news of the trailer was the fact that the game has been rebranded as the next main installment of the franchise – Final Fantasy 15.
- Players control Noctis, a young man with spooky red eyes and a suitably fancy haircut.
- Noctis is the prince of a mafia-like royal family that rule over a technologically advanced city-state, Lucis.
- Noctis’ city is the most technologically advanced in the world – surrounding cities are far more medievil in their society and level of technology.
- The reason behind this technological divide is a war that was fought over magical crystals, the last of which is now protected by Noctis’ family.
- As the game opens, a truce has been declared and a peaceful solution to using the crystal found, but the nation of Niflheim unexpectedly invades Lucis.
- The trailer begins with Noctis conversing with a young girl about how they both see a mysterious light.
- The girl is Stella Nox Fleuret, the daughter of a prestigious family from another country.
- Little is known yet about the mysterious light Noctis can see, but the guy is obviously destined for great things. He’s a Final Fantasy protagonist, after all.
- The scene changes to a young Noctis and his father. Despite being the head of a shady organisation, the dad clearly still cares about his son.
- We then see the invasion of Lucis, and our first glimpse of gameplay.
- Final Fantasy 15 seems more of an action game than ever before in the series, with Noctis diving and rolling out of harms way as well as taking cover from gunfire.
- Through all of this we can see the HP of his party on the right and options to Warp, Attack and “Link Form” on the left.
- Noctis seems to be able to throw his sword and warp to the location, a handy skill that allows him to quickly close the distance to foes.
- As the action heads outside we see huge dragons and epic collapsing scenery, reminiscent of the opening of Bayonetta.
- Noctis is backed up in the trailer by two friends, Gladiolus and Prompto.
- Gladiolus is a large bruiser with a huge sword while Prompto is a blonde-haired gun wielder.
- Noctis will also be joined by the glasses-wearing tactitian Ignis, who wields a katana.
- The battle system is apparently reminiscent of Kingdom Hearts. Players pick an action that is then performed by the character. It might look like Devil May Cry, but it’s still an RPG.
- Transistions into battles are seamless, with no loading to speak of.
- Characters will be able to steal mechs and tanks from enemies and use them against them.
- Lastly, the game is coming to both Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
If you haven’t yet watched the trailers, take a look below – they are both belters. The first is the trailer we saw in Sony’s conference, the second a new gameplay trailer released later. Stick with NowGamer for more instant E3 coverage!